Saturday, June 12, 2010

Security State of Mind for the 2010 World Cup

Well a lot has been written about the violence that tourists can expect. I heard a comment being made about xenophobic violence against foreigners. Travel advisories are being issued and I think to myself what the hell is going on. The rest of the world is gripped in a state of panic, too scared to come to South Africa be cause they are afraid that they might be killed. The Portuguese government is advising that anyone who is raped should receive medical treatment immediately,( as you would in any country), but they should also seek anti retro viral treatment.

I feel that a gross exaggeration is being perpetrated here. However I am a pragmatist. So that I don't sound like a nut I will explain my thinking. When in the UK especially London I carry a koga stick. When I am in Scandinavia because of the restrictions on what one can carry on ones person as a means of protection being very strict, carry a wooden Yawara stick. I carry these weapons in these countries not because I e expect violence but because I have experienced violence in these places before. I carry deterrents everywhere else because I don't believe in being unprepared. Many of the visitors coming to South Africa have never been here much less experienced any violence in South Africa.

Now facts being what they are, South Africa is not England. We have more crime here than in England and this is so for various reasons that we won't get into now. So how do you avoid becoming a victim of crime. Well it is true it is perhaps easier for South Africans to avoid this because we know areas to avoid. However simple things like trying to remember emergency numbers might be a good idea. I always find it easier t gauge the humanity of a nations when I have the opportunity to interact with a family. During the French World cup some friends and I made contact with French families in three cities, for the purpose of having locals that we could contact if we got into any trouble we could not get u out of. they were also handy for information of good places to eat and stuff that we could do between games. It was valuable to have their input on places that was safe to go to and at which times we could go there. This gave a no nonsense honest assessment of the local security and reasonable expectations of the country. I find that when Police and Tourism officials release statements about how safe and care free a place is it is not a true representation of what is really going on.

It was really easy to make contact. We worked through the French Alliance in South Africa. This way you can make contact from the comfort of your lounge via Facebook and Twitter. This method can be followed for any one going overseas not only the world cup.

Avoid contravening the law by carrying weapons especially weapons that you don't know how to use. The biggest crimes that tourist will be exposed to will not be violent crimes but confidence tricks, theft etc. Keep your valuables locked in the room safe or at reception. Try to avoid carrying cash or flashy jewels. If you are going to make purchases from jewellery stores or electronic stores try to do all your viewing via the internet so that you only have to pick your purchase up from the store after paying on line. This will protect you against criminals checking out these stores hoping to catch you off guard.

These are but a few things that can ne done to protect yourself against the opportunistic criminals out there.

Till next time.
Ray Sampson http://raysampson.wordpress.com Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment